Re: F17 vs. Pentium 4

On 2012/04/06 12:35 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

 Maybe it's time to dispense with the script (menu.lst/grub.conf)
                                           CLUE  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  CLUE  :-)

I don't understand how that would help.
It seems to me that that would leave me with even less documentation.

Like running an app in an xterm, otherwise invisible messages may provide a necessary clue to solving a problem.

I installed openSUSE just to see if I could.
I could, but not without problems.
The first one was that it hung after its automatic reboot.

By default, first reboot is not a reboot but a kexec. Kexec doesn't always work as intended.

Pressing reset got the job done.

Meaning openSUSE 12.1 is successfully installed and bootable?

The other is that it took me a while to discover that to change
my boot options I needed to edit menu.lst , not grub.conf .

See above. :-)

In F17 neither will work. It uses Grub2.

I was really panicking for a while.

Still no go on F16 or F17.

:-(

How about "cloning" your F15, and upgrading that to F16 with latest fixes with Yum?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/