Re: F17 vs. Pentium 4

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 11:30:47AM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

>AFAIK 'askmethod' is no longer valid.  Use repo=...

Arrrg.  Syntax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kernel /isolinux17/vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=/home1:/iso17/
good?

I really do not know if "LABEL=/home1" device specification will
work in this context.  It might but that would depend on what really
happens in initrd.img you are using.  Try and see.

I prefer to be explicit in such situations, i.e.

  kernel (hd0,2)/isolinux17/vmlinuz ...
  initrd (hd0,2)/....

but if 'root' is set correctly this should not matter.

It is easy to experiment with all these details from a 'grub>' prompt
while booting.  Your interactive adjustments are not permanent but
this is not that important here.

It would be if I were that good a typist.
If I were that good a typist this thread
would have been named F16 vs Pentium 4.

'Twas suggested to me that I make an F16 install image with a new kernel,
but that would involve a "forward version".
In context, 'twas fairly obvious what that meant,
but I couldn't find a clue how to do it.

In any case I do not have a corresponding iso image on hand so I cannot
go through the whole thing but using vmlinuz and initrd.img from F17 and
booting like the above I am getting at least a dracut debug shell prompt
(after expected here "no suitable images" complaints).

I tried it with /dev and still got crap.

I think it's time for me to give up.
Eventually, I'll replace my DVD burner.
From now on, I'll just have to settle for
letting installers slog through DVDs.
That assumes I don't zap my video card or something again.
This install from hd crap is just too hard.
I've never had an easy time installing, but this is the worst ever.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
whom I teach not to run with scissors,