Re: Release criteria: kickstart

On 08/24/2011 02:43 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, folks. So, another criteria discussion. It came up during Alpha
> that we're grievously lacking criteria to ensure kickstart installs
> work. So, we should kick that around a bit, I guess...
>
> kickstart is a very broad area; you can write extremely complex
> kickstart files that do a lot of stuff. So broadly what we'd need to do
> is define a subset of kickstart functionality that we expect to work,
> and then possibly divide that up by release phase (so some stuff must
> work by Beta, the rest by Final, for e.g.)
>
> anaconda devs following this list, do you have any existing expectations
> as to what level of kickstart functionality ought to be in place for
> releases, and when you think would be appropriate?
>
> So far it seems everyone more or less agrees that it should be possible
> to do at least a basic unattended kickstart install by Beta.

Adam,

I like the idea if having a kickstart installs for release criteria.

So, I do unattended installs all the time w/ virt-install, but mostly minimal, to manage
plenty of kvm guests via shell. For ex, a minimal kickstart I use is below which gives a
serial console:

install
text
reboot
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
network --bootproto dhcp
rootpw redhat
firewall --enabled --ssh
selinux --enforcing
timezone --utc America/New_York
#firstboot --disable
#NOTE: I have to use rd_NO_PLYMOUTH
bootloader --location=mbr --append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200 rd_NO_PLYMOUTH"
zerombr
clearpart --all --initlabel
autopart
%packages
@core
%end

Here, for instance, plymouth and serial console doesn't play well.

Note in the above ks, I have to use the rd_NO_PLYMOUTH flag (this disables plymouth) .If
this flag isn't used,  serial console access is broken. (I guess I filed a bug for this,
which I can't find at the moment. Thankfully, Ray Strode pointed me to the NO_PLYMOUTH flag )

Things like these can be ironed out w/ the kickstart criteria.

ps:Link to the above ks: http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/fed-minimal.ks

thanks,
/kashyap