implementing AppLocker-like functionality with SELinux?

Our users have a tendency to install software that, per company
policy, is not permitted to be installed.  Most users have sudo
privileges on their hosts, which is how they install the software.

In the Windows world, AppLocker can be used to restrict users from
executing programs, by path, publisher, or hash.

Has anyone contemplating using SELinux to implement something similar
to AppLocker, but for Linux?

One thought would be to roll a custom policy that creates a new type
(say, forbidden_t), and then essentially prevent all access for that
type.  But this would not work unless we changed the default SELinux
User for users from unconfined_u to user_r, and that has the potential
to be very disruptive.

Even if we did this, it wouldn't permit us to blacklist by hash; it
would be dependent on the path location.

We run Clam Antivirus on our hosts, so something we are thinking of
doing is writing custom rules to flag the unwanted programs as
malware.  But unless we also used fanotify-based blocking with ClamAV,
that wouldn't prevent users from executing the unwanted programs.

Note that we *are not* trying to stop malicious users from
deliberately installing software they know is forbidden.  Our main
problem is that our users typically don't bother to consult the
"forbidden software" list before installing.  So we're attempting to
catch users who are unintentionally doing the wrong thing, not
deliberately doing the wrong thing.

Has anyone else already explored this issue?  If so, what were your
conclusions?