Re: implementing AppLocker-like functionality with SELinux?

On Wed, 2018-02-07 at 15:56 -0500, James Ralston wrote:
> Our users have a tendency to install software that, per company
> policy, is not permitted to be installed.  Most users have sudo
> privileges on their hosts, which is how they install the software.
>
> In the Windows world, AppLocker can be used to restrict users from
> executing programs, by path, publisher, or hash.
>
> Has anyone contemplating using SELinux to implement something similar
> to AppLocker, but for Linux?
>
> One thought would be to roll a custom policy that creates a new type
> (say, forbidden_t), and then essentially prevent all access for that
> type.  But this would not work unless we changed the default SELinux
> User for users from unconfined_u to user_r, and that has the
> potential
> to be very disruptive.
>
> Even if we did this, it wouldn't permit us to blacklist by hash; it
> would be dependent on the path location.
>
> We run Clam Antivirus on our hosts, so something we are thinking of
> doing is writing custom rules to flag the unwanted programs as
> malware.  But unless we also used fanotify-based blocking with
> ClamAV,
> that wouldn't prevent users from executing the unwanted programs.
>
> Note that we *are not* trying to stop malicious users from
> deliberately installing software they know is forbidden.  Our main
> problem is that our users typically don't bother to consult the
> "forbidden software" list before installing.  So we're attempting to
> catch users who are unintentionally doing the wrong thing, not
> deliberately doing the wrong thing.
>
> Has anyone else already explored this issue?  If so, what were your
> conclusions?

A slightly less disruptive change than changing from unconfined_u to
user_u would be to change to staff_u.  staff_u users are confined but
not as restrictively as user_u, and they can newrole -r unconfined_r or
sudo -r unconfined_r to switch to unconfined when they want to perform
privileged actions.

Otherwise, I'd also refer to you to Linux IMA with digital signatures
as a potential approach, although there remain non-trivial challenges
to effectively deploying it.