Re: [NEWBIE, HELP] Help on my first contact with selinux.

On 09/26/2015 09:05 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 21/09/15 19:39, Alec Leamas wrote:

>>> About what system are we talking?
>>>
>>> We definitely ship lircd in Fedora/RHEL.
>>>
>>> # semodule -l |grep lircd
>>> lircd
>>>
>>> https://github.com/fedora-selinux/selinux-policy/blob/f23-contrib/lircd.te
>>>

>>> So if you see some issues and you use Fedora/RHEL, please open a new bug
>>> or a new pull request against
>
> Hm... for the lircd module I think I now understand why it exists. It's
> defined in for kernel and describes permissions for the /dev/lirc[0-9]
> devices, defining the type *lirc_device_t*. All this looks fine.
>
> However, I think the kernel module name lircd is, well, "not ideal".
> lircd is a user space daemon which basically isn't  related to the
> kernel devices in any specific way (although it is the primary user of
> this interface). IMHO, the kernel selinux module should be named lirc,
> leaving the *lircd* name open for the lircd user space daemon.
>
> If it's complicated to change the kernel module name, we need a new name
> for the lircd user-space daemon selinux module. It should _not_ be the
> same as the kernel stuff since they are unrelated.

That makes sense. lircd is not a correct module name. The problem is we
would need to rename all lircd interfaces and mark them as deprecated.
But it is possible. Could you please open a new bug against
selinux-policy component where we could discuss it also with upstream folks.

Thank you.

--
Miroslav Grepl
Senior Software Engineer, SELinux Solutions