Re: Where are the old package versions?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 11:08:39AM -0500, Travis Sidelinger wrote:
> Thanks Petr.
>
> I was able to find the package at that location, download them, and build a
> local repo.
> <https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=4106>.
>
> So why are older package versions being removed?  Why not keep them?
> Yum/rpm can handle that quite well.

There's 3 big reasons:

1. Including everyhing would make updates repos really really big and
cause problems for our mirror network.

2. Our tooling. Updates repos aren't 'added to', they are created
completely with every push. Our buildsystem has no concept of 'newer' or
'older' only whats tagged into a tag and what order it's tagged.
So, to include the previous version we would have to rework how our
tools work.

3. There has been reistance in the past to including old versions
because they may well be insecure/have serious bugs. If you then get
someone to downgrade to that version they become vulnerable or hit the
big bug.

In short, it's just not easy... but perhaps we will revisit it someday.

kevin