Re: [EPEL-devel] Fwd: Need help: Building a package requiring python >= 3.7 on epel8

On Friday, August 26, 2022 Steve Cossette wrote:
> Now, I decided to contribute further by building the package for epel8 and
> epel9. I have been following the guide on
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Maintenanc
> e_Guide/, but did not know that doing so does not guarantee installation
> will be successful (specially if some of the packages set as 'Requires' are
> not available in the repos.... oops!)

Yes, you need to check that packages are installable. At least, you can run
`mock -r chroot_name_here --postinstall --source . --spec lutris.spec` or
`fedpkg mockbuild --postinstall` to build the package in a mock chroot and
ensures that it's actually installable.

> Python38-devel installs fine, but 3 subpackages keep failing, mainly
> python3.8(evdev), python3.8(pygobject) and python3.8(distro).

Yes, those packages are probably not available for python38. If you want to
support lutris on EPEL 8, you'd have to package up the dependencies. However,
I'd recommend targeting python39 instead of python38. If you're interested in
doing that, I'd be happy to provide some more pointers.

--
Thanks,

Maxwell G (@gotmax23)
Pronouns: He/Him/His