Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Re: Important changes to software license information in Fedora packages (SPDX and more!)

On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 1:39 PM Maxwell G <gotmax@e.email> wrote:

> On 22/07/31 12:57PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> > I can go into why I don't think it's worthwhile, if there's interest.
>
> Feel free to go into more details if you'd like :).

Sure, well: Fedora had an informal but publicly stated policy, which
in retrospect seems quite progressive, of ordinarily not looking into
cross-package license compatibility issues. There were some notable
exceptions involving prominent issues that did not arise uniquely
within Fedora (the one that comes to mind is Fedora treating OpenSSL
as covered by the GPL's system library exception). But also even
license compatibility issues isolated to a particular package have
mostly been ignored or treated as unimportant for a variety of
practical, policy, interpretive and doctrinal reasons that are really
not specific to Fedora but found in other LInux distributions and in
upstream projects generally. I think we would look carefully at a
license compatibility issue if someone raised it on a
*package-specific basis* (possibly concluding it was a non-issue,
possibly not ) but I don't think we have an interest in encouraging
this particularly. So anyway given that state of affairs I don't think
it's useful to track GPLv2 and GPLv3 compatibility issues for new
allowed licenses going forward, on a non-package-specific basis.

Richard