Re: license of the binary policy

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 11:14 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 2:12 AM Otto Urpelainen <oturpe@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > As a maintainer of modest amount of packages and occassional new package
> > reviewer,
> > the issues I have with the current licensing policy as linked above are:
> >
> > 1. The "effective license" thing that is already discussed in another
> > thread does not appear in the policy at all, and it does not appear in
> > Fedora Licensing page, either. The only places that mention it that I
> > have discovered are Licensing:FAQ [1] and random discussions at mailing
> > lists and so on. This makes it quite difficult to understand if
> > "effective licensing" is actually part of the policy or not. It would be
> > easier to understand its status if it was covered in the policy itself.
> > The policy itself should be unambiguous and possible to interpret
> > without reference to any FAQ. A FAQ should not introduce new
> > requirements and exceptions.
>
> That part of the FAQ will have to be revisited, if the approach I
> suggested today is adopted (a good example of why it isn't exactly
> maintaining the existing policy). Basically, the "simple enumeration"
> approach would mean that there is no such thing as "effective
> licensing".

I wonder what you think about simple cases of "effective" licenses?
For example, most Rust projects are dual-licensed as "Apache-2.0 OR
MIT", but some odd ones are released under "MIT"-only or
"Apache-2.0"-only licenses.

So, for a binary package that contains code from both "Apache-2.0 OR
MIT" and "MIT"-only projects, we usually "collapsed" that into just
"MIT".
Just enumerating the licenses in this case - "(Apache-2.0 OR MIT) AND
MIT" - would be kind of silly, in my opinion.
Adding the full "Apache-2.0 OR MIT" choice from the first project
seems to be pointless, since it actually cannot result in a choice of
license - because that choice is already forced by the "MIT"-only
second project. Please correct me if this analysis is wrong.

Fabio