Re: Thoughts on pyproject-rpm-macros and license files?

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 12:31 PM Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a bonus, we could theoretically change the behavior to de-dupe, or even
> do complicated things like only install the license files which require it
> when nodoc is used. That's not generally been worth bothering, but I do
> notice that /usr/share/license takes up 44MB on my desktop system, so...
> there's room to shrink. (Using jdupes, I found this is 13.32MiB "exclusive"
> with btrfs.)
>
> For reference: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/411

I assume that the comments there about hardlinking are still accurate.
A long time ago I suggested that Fedora consider adopting what I
understand the Debian convention to be, which is to have a single copy
of several widely used license files in a directory called
/usr/share/common-licenses, referenced as needed from a per-package
debian/copyright file. From a license compliance standpoint the Debian
approach has some merit.

Richard

--
Richard Fontana