Re: Thoughts on pyproject-rpm-macros and license files?

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:05:26AM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > > %license LICENSE.txt
> >might still be needed—under the theory that the license file is
> >supposed to be installed in /usr/share/licenses.
> This assumption is not true. I even recall asking somewhere wrt
> Python's license file:
[...]
> >The Licensing Guidelines simply say that %license must be used,
> >and don’t mention /usr/share/licenses[2].

Since the license tag is My Fault™, and it was a long time ago, some
background just for the sake of keeping our collective memory refreshed, the
main purpose of the %license tag as distinct from %doc is to make sure that
when packages are installed without docs (possibly in containers or other
minimal-footprint situations), the license is still included, as many of
them require that.

As a bonus, we could theoretically change the behavior to de-dupe, or even
do complicated things like only install the license files which require it
when nodoc is used. That's not generally been worth bothering, but I do
notice that /usr/share/license takes up 44MB on my desktop system, so...
there's room to shrink. (Using jdupes, I found this is 13.32MiB "exclusive"
with btrfs.)

For reference: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/411

--
Matthew Miller