Re: Packaging Guidelines for Desktop Applications

On Thu, 2021-08-26 at 17:44 +0000, Johan Vromans wrote:
> I don't quite understand. According to my information, AppData aside,
> there must be a .desktop file (for the application) and an .xml file
> for the mime type.
>
> %{_datadir}/applications/myapp.desktop
> %{_datadir}/mime/packages/myapp.xml
>
> The icons
>
> %{_datadir}pixmaps/myapp.png
> %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/x-myapp-doc.png
>
> The tool desktop-file-install installs the .desktop file into the
> appropriate location, but there is nothing documented for the
> mimetype and icons.

Sorry I was not talking about the documentation, but about how it can
done with free desktop specification/tooling.

>From xdg-mime man page.

install
 Adds the file type descriptions provided in mimetypes-file to the
 desktop environment.  mimetypes-file must be a XML file that
 follows the freedesktop.org Shared MIME-info Database specification
 and that has a mime-info element as its document root. For each new
 file type one or more icons with name type-subtype must be
 installed with the xdg-icon-resource command in the mimetypes
 context. For example the filetype
    application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text requires an icon named
    application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.text to be installed

So looks like if your mime.xml file have the mime type:

application/nice.file

You got to install with xdg-icon-resource an icon named:

application-nice.file

xdg-icon-resource install --novendor --size 48 application-nice-
file.png application-nice.file

But as you said, it seems there is nothing about it on the guidelines.

Sorry for disrupting this thread.

It was not my intention.