Re: Packaging Guidelines for Desktop Applications

On Thu, 2021-08-26 at 13:01 +0000, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Thanks for your extensive answer.
>
> What is not clear to me is how icons for application-specific
> documents are handled.
>
> To use the example you refer to:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Type=Application
> Name=Foo Viewer
> Comment=The best viewer for Foo objects available!
> TryExec=fooview
> Exec=fooview %F
> Icon=fooview
> MimeType=image/x-foo;
>
> The desktop icon for the application is specifed by `Icon=fooview`.
> But where/how to specify the icon for `image/x-foo` documents?

Don't trust me that much, because I am quite rusty, but if I recall It
was something like:

MimeType:image/x-foo:foo_icon_file:

xdg-icon-resource install foo_icon_file.png foo_icon_file

Just hoping it gets you in the right direction, but take it with a
pinch of salt.

It may be not the Fedora's way to do it. It's more a Freedesktop thing.

I can't recall if you have to update de mime database and/or icon cache
(update-mime-database from shared-mime-info package, gtk-update-icon-
cache from the package with the same name), or those where used just
with the .desktop files.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

- Iago -