Re: Packaging Guidelines for Desktop Applications

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_desktop_files

> However, I could not find any information on how to handle applications
> that work with application-specific documents[*]. For this there must
> be document icons and XML files installed under %{_datadir}/mime and
> %{_datadir}/icons. Maybe there is need for some %post processing?

no , now it is not need %post processing on Fedora , just for epel 7

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packaging#mimeinfo

> Are there any guidelines for this?

All documentation have been deleted because now we don't need handle
mimeinfo, desktop-database and  Icon Cache, however I think and already
request that we should mention this in documentation (that we don't
need it), even talk about location of icons (%{_datadir}/icons/) ,
location of mime info (%{_datadir}/mime/packages/ )

BTW guidelines also should mention (IMHO), how create Icon Themes for
desktop files, references [1] because on "KDE application launcher"
some icons not appears when desktop file try use one "Icon theme" , I'm
trying understand why, I have this problem in a couple of packages ...

[1]
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.1.html#mime-types

Icon to display in file manager, menus, etc. If the name is an absolute
path, the given file will be used. If the name is not an absolute path,
the algorithm described in the Icon Theme Specification will be used to
locate the icon.
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

--
Sérgio M. B.