Re: Rust application package naming

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "rust-sevctl" was added to Fedora recently.  It contains a single
> binary (/usr/bin/sevctl).  I think the fact that it happens to have
> been written in the Rust language is immaterial and the package should
> have been called "sevctl".
>
> Anyway the packager points me to the guidelines:
>
>   https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Rust/
>
> and with a strict reading of them, it does indeed seem that
> "rust-sevctl" is the required name (since the package is a "crate").
> But it's not a library, so this seems ... unnecessary?  We have plenty
> of programs written in C which aren't called c-foo.
>
> NB: I appreciate that this package has now already been added to
> Fedora and changing package names is a pain, so this is NOT a request
> to change the name of this existing package.  Also this package
> already "Provides: sevctl" so it's not really an issue.

Note that the package containing the binary does not Provide "sevctl",
it **is actually named sevctl** ("%package -n %{crate}").

However, I agree with you that it would make sense to allow the
"plain" (no "rust-" prefix) source package name for crates that only
provide a binary but no library interface.
It is possible to do this manually (see i3status-rs, zola,
squeekboard, stratisd, etc.) but rust2rpm does not support this case.
It should not be hard to detect the "binary but no library" case in
rust2rpm and generate a package with source name "%{crate}" instead of
"rust-%{crate}". Amending the Packaging Guidelines would probably
amount to changing only once sentence, as well.

Fabio