Re: Are AppStream metadata packaging guidelines up to date?

Otto Urpelainen kirjoitti 18.1.2021 klo 17.55:
(Sending again, went only to Vit first)

Vít Ondruch kirjoitti 18.1.2021 klo 10.26:

Dne 18. 01. 21 v 9:22 Vít Ondruch napsal(a):
Hi Otto,

I am not sure I completely understand your question. However looking at gpodder, I think that this:

~~~

cat > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/appdata/%{name}.appdata.xml <<EOF

~~~

should be changed to:

~~~

cat > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_metainfodir}/%{name}.appdata.xml <<EOF

~~~

Turns out there were multiple problems here. Combined with me being quite lost led to unclear question, I suppose. Good news is that I already reached a solution for gpodder in this pull request <https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gpodder/pull-request/2>. The pull request makes gpodder follow the guidelines.

Which leaves only the question about validity of the guidelines open. To illustrate, while your proposed fix seems logical if you consult AppStream documentation, using _metainfodir is against Fedora Packaging Guidelines.

If you have any specific concerns about correctness of guidelines, I'd suggest to open PR proposing fix here:

https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-requests

There is different thread about this topic on fedora-devel, so this is probably relevant ticket:

https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/944

But PR with specific proposal would probably help to move this forward.

Yes, the devel list thread and linked issue are the same as my question about the guidelines.

I suppose I could open a pull request. It feels a bit strange to start contributing with a change proposal that has such a wide effect. But since clearly I am not the only one having the same question, I suppose I can send a proposal in.

Otto

Here we go: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/1041#

Otto