Are AppStream metadata packaging guidelines up to date?

Greetings,

I am a new contributor to Fedora packaging. My actual target is to add some applications I use but are not packaged yet. But since adding a new package is quite complex and Fedora also places some requirements before a contributor is allowed to do that, I have started learning by doing some simpler tasks first.

I have been looking at various packages I use personally, trying to find some things to improve. I noticed that the gpodder <https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gpodder> package would benefit from some work on its AppStream metadata. My first though was to simply make it comply with the Packaging Guidelines: AppData <https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/AppData/> section in Fedora Docs. But, the instructions there lead to a setup that is deprecated according to AppStream current specification <https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Quickstart.html#sect-Quickstart-DesktopApps>. This is my first encounter with AppStream, but from the guidelines page naming it seems that even the name has changed from AppData to AppStream after the guidelines were written.

So the question is this: Should Fedora packages really follow the guidance from /Packaging Guidelines: AppData/, or should that page be updated?

Perhaps I should also explain what is wrong with the gpodder package: Its spec file contains an inline /appdata.xml/ that is installed to //usr/share/appdata/. However, since /appdata.xml/ was added, upstream has started shipping its own AppStream file. That is also installed, but to //usr/share/metainfo/, with a different file name, different application id and diffrent content. Dropping the inline version and installing only the upstream version seems clear enough, but to me it seems like the Packaging Guidelines give bad advice on how to go about that.

Regards,
Otto Urpelainen