On becoming a packager

I think the process for becoming a packager is really rusty. We currently require to submit a valid package review submission AND to find a sponsor AND to prove them you're able "to convince an existing sponsor-level member that you understand and follow the project's guidelines and processes".
The latest part seems quite subjective to me. Moreover, it's becoming harder and harder for the few sponsors to follow all the requests: look at the approved package submissions list [1] where a lot of those are stuck waiting for a sponsor.

So, what about moving the sponsorship part to use an entry test? We could setup a standard test with a bunch of questions about the packaging process, the package maintaining process and some flawed .spec files that the applicant should fix.
I don't think we would need an app to run this, just a place from where the applicant can download the test and maybe an email address with limited access to sponsors where the applicant submits their answers.

What do you think?
Mattia

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/in_progress.html