Re: Package tests?

Dne 09. 06. 20 v 22:35 Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
> On 09. 06. 20 21:49, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>> Hi.
>> On my system:
>>    du -ch  /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/*/tests/
>>    18 MB in total
>>
>> I did not see anything in Guidelines about packaging tests. Do we
>> really need them in final package?
>
> It depends on the package, but in majority of the cases, we don't.
>
>> Are there any
>> objection to propose in Guidelines something like:
>>
>> %exclude %{python3_sitelib}/YOUR-MODULE/tests
>
> I am all in to say the tests SHOULD NOT be packaged (assuming the
> package works without them) and SHOULD either be removed or packaged
> into a -tests subpackage.

In Ruby world, there used to be guideline to exclude the tests for some
while. However, removing the test from the package means that we would
differ from upstream. Therefore nowadays, we typically keep the test
suite as part of -doc subpackage. But if there was more generic
guidelines, such as -test(s) subpackage, I would not object.

Vít