RFC: systemize packaging that manipulates implicit XML catalog

Hello,

it was brought to my attention that unlike in Fedora, openSUSE has
taken care of the (relatively niche) area of dealing with packages'
entries to what other SW consumes (directly or via transitive chain
of catalogs) from /etc/xml/catalog file:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_XML_Schemas_and_Stylesheets

What follows is a natural consideration whether it would, for once,
make sense for Fedora to follow this example, for ~3 reasons:

0. less imperative, more declarative is issually somewhat more
   relaxed at both "produce" and "grok" directions

1. it's easy to forget about the removal part when using explicit
   procedural form of registering a custom catalog in pre/post
   scriptlets (it happened to me with upstream, thanks to the reviewer
   for spotting it, and actually also for pointing the openSUSE
   advancement in this packaging territory per above)

2. unified path for the custom catalogs to allow for immediately
   groking the delegations without even reviewing /etc/xml/catalog
   file in detail

3. sticking with what openSUSE already does means less of a wide
   RPM ecosystem fragmentation

Now, if this received a positive feedback, I am not sure how to
go about rewriting update-xml-catalog executable from scratch
vs. just adopting theirs, regarding proper license compatibility,
attributions, in which package to put it, etc.  But I guess,
that'd be secondary, so what I want to know at this point is
whether:

- such a packaging related "enablement" would make sense,
  with an outlook to eventually (given the proper Fedora
  change process if eligible here) mandate the use of this
  new mechanism for hooking custom XML catalogs in,
  perhaps to the extent that /etc/xml/catalog would be
  assumed immutable, with only the pre-delegated catalog
  eligible for changes

- there is a precedent of Fedora adopting parts of openSUSE
  packaging practices, like it would be the case here

Thanks

--
Jan (Poki)