Re: Using Minisign for source file verification

On Fri, 2019-08-09 at 13:26 +0200, François Kooman wrote:
> On 09.08.19 12:19, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > An algorithm that will be obsoleted by another modern algorithm in ten years. No
> > this is not how cryptographical tools should be designed. The tool and the
> > singature format must be agnostic to a concrete algorithm.
>
> Actually. It is not designed like this, see [1] for the signature/key
> format.
> > This is an invalid argument. You can always found an arbitrarily old
> > distribution that does not support a feature of your choice.
>
> Fair enough, it is not an argument against using OpenSSL, just against
> using it on RHEL/CentOS 7 assuming one wants to use Ed25519 for
> signatures and not RSA or ECDSA.
>
> > There is no explanation why. Only a "don’t use a low-level crypto library like
> > OpenSSL or BouncyCastle" statement. Do you have any explanation?
>
> Okay, we are getting a bit off-topic here :-)
>
> Using a low level crypto library like OpenSSL is a bad idea for
> developers. It gives them a huge foot gun. I know enough not to want to
> use the OpenSSL API as a developer. I will screw it up. I'm confident I
> can write an application using libsodium without the crypto
> implementation being the weak part. I'm sure that's true for most (all?)
> developers that are not also OpenSSL developers...

Unless you are a crypographer you will screw it up anyway :-)
And if you are targeting Fedora/RHEL libsodium is a no-go for now.

> > Moreover, I cannot see how TLS is relevant to a code signing.
>
> It is not. OpenSSL is (according to the blog post linked) only the best
> tool for doing TLS. For all other purposes it is not the best tool.

This is sophism, what you need, if you are really writing a signing
tool, is someone expert in cryptography to check your code *anyway*,
because there are many, many aspects of signing you may get
catastrophically wrong otherwise. And an expert will know how you
should use OpenSSL correctly anyway.

TL;DR: Do not think that using some new crypto library automagically
makes you write correct code when cryptography is involved, always
consult and use tools provided/vetted by your experts.

>  So
> introducing something like libsodium for non-TLS purposes seems like a
> good thing to do! Especially if this means dropping the OpenSSL/GnuPG
> dependency...

No it is not a good thing for the reasons you are providing. There may
be good reasons, but writing a signing tool is not one of them for
sure.

And using wellknown and maintained libraries (by your distribution
experts) is a better reason to use what is available than introducing a
new crypto-library on the promise that it is somehow "better".

> I don't know what the reasons are for arguing against libsodium for
> non-TLS crypto use cases, maybe the foreseen (long term) potential costs
> in case libsodium would be added to RHEL, next to OpenSSL and GnuPG?

There is added maintenance cost for any new package, and crypto-
libraries have a steep cost because they are more critical indeed (and
fewer people can properly maintain them, I hate to cite it, but I'd
like to remind you the Debian maintenance snafu a few years ago with
OpenSSL that was catastrophic indeed).

We already have 4 crypto-libraries in the distro, I am not against a
new one if you can drop another in the process (and the process is
strictly: drop before adding)

Simo.