Re: Using Minisign for source file verification

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 11:32:25AM +0200, François Kooman wrote:
> On 09.08.19 10:12, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > You can build a one-purpose application around e.g. OpenSSL. No need
> > for introducing yet another cryptographical library.
>
> Sure, someone could. Probably. However, one would need to upgrade
> OpenSSL in CentOS/RHEL to get modern algorithm support, i.e. Ed25519.

An algorithm that will be obsoleted by another modern algorithm in ten years. No
this is not how cryptographical tools should be designed. The tool and the
singature format must be agnostic to a concrete algorithm.

> $ openssl genpkey -algorithm Ed25519 -out ed25519key.pem
> Algorithm Ed25519 not found

This is an invalid argument. You can always found an arbitrarily old
distribution that does not support a feature of your choice.

And I though we are talking about Fedora. And even so it's not true. OpenSSL
in RHEL 8 supports Ed25519.

> It seems the only thing OpenSSL should be used for is TLS [1].
> Everything else crypto should avoid it...
>
> [1] https://latacora.micro.blog/2018/04/03/cryptographic-right-answers.html

There is no explanation why. Only a "don’t use a low-level crypto library like
OpenSSL or BouncyCastle" statement. Do you have any explanation? Moreover,
I cannot see how TLS is relevant to a code signing.

-- Petr