Re: obsolete JavaScript packaging guidelines

Le 2018-08-04 23:17, Greg Sheremeta a écrit :
On Sat, Aug 4, 2018, 4:30 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Perhaps something like "cpan2rpm" could be done for webpacks?

The JavaScript package manager is npm or yarn, actually.

It is a similar situation to previous languages. However, it's worse
here because of how fragmented JavaScript is. Trying to wrap modules
in RPMs isn't going to scale.

Actually, that is perfectly doable, we’re doing it for Go now, which is arguably in a worse upstream shape than javascript.

It "only" needs a lot of rpm macro and infra work to scale (https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/104 would help tremendously)

If anyone’s interested I can give him tips on how to automate the packaging of such ecosystems.

Basically you need an utility that can read language-specific project definitions to output deps,
https://pagure.io/golist (for js probably something npm or yarn based)
and rpm macros that plug the utility output in the correct stages of the specfile
https://pagure.io/go-rpm-macros

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot