Re: Package Guidelines: Should config files follow upstream or Fedora defaults?

On Thursday, 11 October 2018 at 09:42, Christopher Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,
> one more question about the subpackage approach
>
> On 10/8/18 12:39 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >> 2) ship example config file as real config file, with upstream's example
> >>    config activated
> >
> > Ship this configuration in a subpackage (sshguard-iptables).  Use rich
> > dependencies to have it auto-installed if iptables-services is installed.
> >
> >> 3) ship custom config file preconfigured for Fedora defaults
> >
> > Ship this configuration in a subpackage (sshguard-firewalld). Use rich
> > dependencies to have it auto-installed if firewalld is installed.
>
> This implies that the spec contains multiple /etc/sshguard.conf files. I
> can ship them as %doc sshguard.conf.<backend>, and then cp them to
> sshguard.conf during %post <subpackage>, but then no package would own
> that file, right?

You can use %ghost to own a file that is created in %post or at runtime.
Also, there's no problem if two conflicting packages own the same file.

> I can of course create separate packages with separate spec files for
> the config, but can this also be made to work with subpackages?

Take a look at the coreutils package for one way to do it from a single
spec file.

Regards,
Dominik
--