Re: [Guidelines change] Changes to the packaging guidelines

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 07:19:18AM +0100, Remi Collet wrote:
> > It's not fine anywhere.  If I put a link or whatever in my personal bin
> > directory and then a system-installed package breaks, that's a bug.
> Ok, so consistency, using same logic, please make RPATH usage mandatory
> to ensure the proper libraries are used by all the packaged applications.

I don't think this is really a comparable situation, as we don't put
/usr/local before system paths for library searches, but we *do* by
default for PATH.

I think this really highlights a problem with packaging dynamic
language stacks overall. Are they being packaged to support
applications in the distribution proper? Or, are they being packaged to
support end-user development and applications? Right now, our answer is
"everything at once", and that leads to friction.

Remi, the Modularity answer here would be to automatically (that is,
with one command and from one spec file) build the packages for
different bases. Would this address your concerns?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>