Re: [Guidelines change] Changes to the packaging guidelines

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Remi Collet <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 28/10/2017 à 01:47, Jason L Tibbitts III a écrit :
>
>> A new section was added to the packaging guidelines regarding shebang
>> lines. It forbids the use of 'env' and codifies the longstanding rpmlint
>> rule that non-executable files should not have shebang lines.
>
> I strongly disapproved this new forbidden use of env.
>
> It works perfectly and have lot of benefits, at least for SCL users,
> especially for PHP stack where compatibility is very good between version.
>
> Yes, I have a huge usage of multi-versions of the language installed and
> used simultaneously.
>
> Switching back to hard coded path to PHP binary will be, IMHO, a huge
> regression for PHP developers.
>
> I won't change any of my package.

The problem is that while it might be fine for PHP stuff, it's not
usually fine for Ruby, Python, or anything else.

And really, what we need is a brp script in rpm to rewrite it
transparently, so that it matches whatever interpreter it's supposed
to run with.