Re: Dealing with .gitattributes and export-ignore for test suites on GitHub

Le 01/10/2017 à 20:47, Miro Hrončok a écrit :
> On 30.9.2017 18:09, François Kooman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm packaging a PHP library [1] that is hosted on GitHub and has a
>> .gitattributes file that uses export-ignore to not make the test suite
>> directory part of the archive.
>
> I wonder: what is the upstream motivation to do this?

This is a very common practice in "composer" world :(

Despite "composer is not a installer" (only a dependency resolver), lot
of people use it to install their app, and don't want the dependency
test suite in their installation tree.

Usual answer from upstream is that composer is able to pull the full
tree using the --prefer-source (vs --prefer-dist) option.

Yes this is a nightmare for us, and I don't count the number of upstream
bugs I open about this. BTW I've stopped fighting.

Long discussion about this, reported to composer, as I really think the
.gitattributes is a way to solve a composer issue:

    https://github.com/composer/composer/issues/4438

Remi.