[Fedora-packaging] Re: a new packaging guideline for skip-release upgrading

> > If there is no standard naming for a package or other long term naming
> > compatibility requirements involved with the rename, the Provides should
> > be assumed to be deprecated and short lived and removed in the distro
> > release after the next one (ie. if introduced in FC-X, keep in all
> > subsequent package revisions for distros FC-X and FC-(X+1), drop in
> > FC-(X+2)), and the distro version where it is planned to be dropped
> > documented in a comment in the specfile. Maintainers of affected
> > packages should be notified and encouraged to switch to use the new
> > name. Forward compatibility Provides: in older distro branches can be
> > considered in order to make it possible for package maintainers to keep
> > same simple specfiles between branches but still switch to the newer
> > name.
>
> I find this section rather confusing. The way I read it, it says to drop
> the Provides/Obsoletes in N+2 -- which means it won't be possible to
> upgrade from N to N+2.
>
> What Kamil is saying is that we now have a new policy to support
> updating not just from N to N+1, but also from N to N+2. This means the
> Obsoletes/Provides can only be dropped in N+3.
>
> It might very well be that the text above is already trying to say this
> and I'm just misunderstanding, but in any case I think it's worth some
> rewording :)

I was thinking about this as well, and understood it as following:
If you rename a package during during FN lifecycle, FN users are already covered (when they installed the updates, the rename happened). What concerns us are FN-1 users. And because of this rule (that you need to keep the rename deps for two releases, i.e. FN and FN+1, and drop in FN+2), it means that FN-1 users are also covered, because they upgrade from FN-1 to FN+1.

But I'm not 100% sure that that's really the intended meaning.