[Fedora-packaging] Re: a new packaging guideline for skip-release upgrading

On 01/12/2016 06:52 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"KP" == Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

KP> Thanks for your response. I didn't even consider
KP> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy before. I was more
KP> thinking about the "rpm dependencies" topic here than high level
KP> update policy. Something that would define that if you e.g. replace
KP> one package with a different one, the Obsoletes and Provides must
KP> not work just across one release, but across two (this is very
KP> specific, but serves as an example).

That case is covered specifically:

If there is no standard naming for a package or other long term naming
compatibility requirements involved with the rename, the Provides should
be assumed to be deprecated and short lived and removed in the distro
release after the next one (ie. if introduced in FC-X, keep in all
subsequent package revisions for distros FC-X and FC-(X+1), drop in
FC-(X+2)), and the distro version where it is planned to be dropped
documented in a comment in the specfile. Maintainers of affected
packages should be notified and encouraged to switch to use the new
name. Forward compatibility Provides: in older distro branches can be
considered in order to make it possible for package maintainers to keep
same simple specfiles between branches but still switch to the newer
name.

I find this section rather confusing. The way I read it, it says to drop
the Provides/Obsoletes in N+2 -- which means it won't be possible to
upgrade from N to N+2.

What Kamil is saying is that we now have a new policy to support
updating not just from N to N+1, but also from N to N+2. This means the
Obsoletes/Provides can only be dropped in N+3.

It might very well be that the text above is already trying to say this
and I'm just misunderstanding, but in any case I think it's worth some
rewording :)

Thanks,
Kalev