Re: Using file system links to unbundle python packages

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 12:36:57PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 11:57:07 +0200, Sergio Pascual wrote:
>
> > I have a pair of python packages that bundle a series of python packages
> > under a subpackage extern. In particular, python-astropy bundles six,
> > configobj, pytest and ply.
> >
> > What I do is patching the source, so that instead of
> >
> > from astropy.extern.six import ...
> >
> > I have
> >
> > from six import ...
> >

> > This works for astropy itself, but other third-party packages require
> > astropy.extern to exist and work, i.e, its part of the API of astropy.
> >
> > I have read this
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Unbundling_Python_Modules
> >
> > but before trying to implement changes, my question is: is a valid approach
> > to remove the bundled library and make a files ystem link to the system
> > library?
>
> IMO, it would be cleaner to adjust the "import" statements and make
> them try importing the system modules before falling back to the
> bundled modules. Such a change could be merged upstream, and then you
> would only need to delete the bundled modules.

+1

There's a hierarchy of things that are somewhat acceptable in regards to
bundling.  The least desirable is probably to get an exception from the FPC.
The most desirable is to unbundle via a build-time switch or runtime
detection that upstream has merged.

Symlinks fall in the middle of that.  There's some pretty easy recipes for
making python modules fit into the most desirable category so I would not
recommend dipping down to the level of symlinks.

-Toshio