Using file system links to unbundle python packages

I have a pair of python packages that bundle a series of python packages under a subpackage extern. In particular, python-astropy bundles six, configobj, pytest and ply.

What I do is patching the source, so that instead of

from astropy.extern.six import ...

I have

from six import ...

This works for astropy itself, but other third-party packages require astropy.extern to exist and work, i.e, its part of the API of astropy.

I have read this

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Unbundling_Python_Modules

but before trying to implement changes, my question is: is a valid approach to remove the bundled library and make a files ystem link to the system library?

Thanks, Sergio