Re: fedoras default cflags & clang

Il 30/05/2014 11:03, Jakub Jelinek ha scritto:
> >Many folks like to use clang as their primary compiler for various reasons, is there anyone who knows a workaround or fix?
>
> I think FPC (and/or FESCO) should decide on whether we want to
> allow/disallow using clang for official Fedora rpms.
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/847
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2012-05-14/fesco.2012-05-14-17.00.log.html

FWIW, the IRC meeting log mentioned the famous page about better clang diagnostics. That page is comparing clang against GCC 4.2 (Fedora 8 or so).

As of 2014, I only know two cases where clang is still better: more complete caret diagnostics, and better recovery from invalid types (clang provides suggestions and uses it for the rest of the compilation to avoid cascaded error messages).

As of 2014, clang's main strength over GCC is the static analyzer, not the diagnostics or the optimization.

Paolo