environment module alternatives

Packaging (and mpi folks as they are the main users of modules) -

  In addition to the current environment-modules package in Fedora,
there is at least one other implementation of the "environment modules"
system - Lmod.  This is Lua based rather than C/TCL based but can handle
the TCL based module file format as well as a lua based format with a
.lua extension.  There is also the pure TCL version of
environment-modules which some seem to prefer.

  I'd like to package Lmod for Fedora as well.  My current plan is to
use alternatives for the /etc/profile.d/modules.* links in order to
allow both to coexist.  I think we also want to move the current
/usr/share/Modules/modulefiles system module file location to
/usr/share/modulefiles (which would be owned by both environment-modules
and Lmod).  That way either package can make use of the modulefiles
installed by other packages.  environment-modules currently ships some
sample modules which I'm not yet sure should stay in
/usr/share/Modules/modulefiles (and only be used by it) or if they
should get moved to /usr/share/modulefiles for Lmod's use as well (some
are generic, some specific to environment-modules)

  We also would need some kind of virtual provide I believe for module
using packages to require instead of the current "environment-modules".
 Perhaps environment-modules(system) or environment(modules)?
Suggestions welcome.

  Any other comments?

- Orion

--