Re: Unclear license

On 01/15/2014 01:38 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> You probably want to ask that question on the fedora legal list or
> open up a ticket on the fedora legal trac instance.  I can't see
> anything wrong with it but I can't speak with any authority on
> legal issues.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-legal/
>
> -Toshio
>
> On Jan 14, 2014 10:30 PM, "Johan Swensson" <kupo@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:kupo@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into packaging a software that provides a LICENSE file
> which only contains this:
>
> "Everyone is permitted to do anything on this program including
> copying, modifying, and improving, unless you try to pretend that
> you wrote it. i.e., the above copyright notice has to appear in all
> copies.

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that this line ^^ represents an
unenforceable clause. Essentially, it's unspecified what "pretend you
wrote it" means in a legal sense. And by the wording of the rest of
it, it sounds like if you failed to conform to that ambiguous
definition, you lose rights to do anything at all with the code.

Frankly, I'd be asking upstream to switch to the BSD two-clause, which
requires that the code retain the copyright information. It seems to
me that this license covers exactly what they're trying to say here,
but with acceptable language.