Re: SCL discussion at yesterday's meeting, easy stuff

On 11/05/2013 04:42 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 04:34:47PM +0100, Honza Horak wrote:
On 11/01/2013 08:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
A straw poll was taken about the filesystem location of SCLs.  A few FPC
members were willing to use /opt but others were heavily opposed to it.
Everyone was okay with using /usr/scl (or the plural form /usr/scls).  So
I think that needs to become the scl root dir (is that the right term?) for
Fedora.

FPC was okay with the idea that third parties might use /usr/scl as well.
I didn't bring this up at the meeting but one thing that influences me on
this is that scls are inherently rpm managed and therefore mixing both our
scls with third party scls does not seem like the same vendor-OS problem
that /opt was designed to fix.
I feel the need to add my POV about choosing /usr/scl for SCL prefix.
FHS states: "/usr is the second major section of the filesystem. /usr
is shareable, read-only data. That means that /usr should be
shareable between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be written
to. Any information that is host-specific or varies with time is
stored elsewhere." [1]

That seems to me like a no-go for having /usr/scl as a prefix for
SCLs, because there surely are packages that need to write some
files, probably not only databases. So I'd also vote for /opt since
there are no such requirements.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY

Although I favor /opt, this is not one of the reasons.  Our interpretation
of /opt is that we also cannot depend on it being read-write and
host-specific.  It looks like fhs developed /opt to be a vendor-friendly
version of /usr.
In my understanding, this is exactly what you want (/opt/fedora or may-be /opt/scl/<more>)

   Therefore it is also read-only and shareable.  The
reasoning stems from FHS's decision to separate read-write and host-specific
information from /opt:

"""
Package files that are variable (change in normal operation) must be
installed in /var/opt. See the section on /var/opt for more information.

Host-specific configuration files must be installed in /etc/opt. See the
section on /etc for more information.
"""

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES

As stated in my Filesystem Location Part 2 email:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2013-November/009717.html

"we also noted that no matter whether /usr or /opt was used, config files
would still need to be placed somewhere under /etc and state files somewhere
under /var."
Correct - What is you problem with this?

Ralf