Re: SCL discussion at yesterday's meeting, easy stuff

On 11/01/2013 08:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
A straw poll was taken about the filesystem location of SCLs.  A few FPC
members were willing to use /opt but others were heavily opposed to it.
Everyone was okay with using /usr/scl (or the plural form /usr/scls).  So
I think that needs to become the scl root dir (is that the right term?) for
Fedora.

FPC was okay with the idea that third parties might use /usr/scl as well.
I didn't bring this up at the meeting but one thing that influences me on
this is that scls are inherently rpm managed and therefore mixing both our
scls with third party scls does not seem like the same vendor-OS problem
that /opt was designed to fix.

I feel the need to add my POV about choosing /usr/scl for SCL prefix. FHS states: "/usr is the second major section of the filesystem. /usr is shareable, read-only data. That means that /usr should be shareable between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be written to. Any information that is host-specific or varies with time is stored elsewhere." [1]

That seems to me like a no-go for having /usr/scl as a prefix for SCLs, because there surely are packages that need to write some files, probably not only databases. So I'd also vote for /opt since there are no such requirements.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY

Honza