Re: Against what package do I file this BZ?

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:33:35 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> > On which basis should the script know when to "round up" as you describe?
> > The number (or whatever else, such as a snapshot date) at the right of the
> > leading number of %{release} could be anything. It could be the packager's
> > internal package revision number (e.g. "patch-level").
>
> If it detects that the release is something like ##%{?dist}.## then it
> should drop the decimal place and increment the release number.

That's a different case than what has been done in perl-qpid_proton.
But again, how should the script know whether to drop anything? And how
much to drop?
If there were an option, it would likely not be the default during
mass-rebuilds, because one cannot rule out that it wouldn't break
someone's "strange" release versioning scheme.
In either case, a "clean up" recipe would be needed. Cleaning up a
Release tag could involve dropping pieces anywhere. You wanted it to
drop something left of %dist, minor release bumps are right of %dist.

In older branches you may not want to drop anything automatically, because
the package may have seen a "minor release bump for old branches" before:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branches

rpmdev-bumpspec can be given the -r (--rightmost) option to prefer
a minor release bump.

  $ grep Release test.spec
  Release:        4%{?dist}.1
  $ rpmdev-bumpspec -r test.spec
  $ grep Releasec -r test.spec
  Release:        4%{?dist}.2

  $ grep Release test.spec
  Release:        5%{?dist}
  $ rpmdev-bumpspec -r test.spec
  $ grep Release test.spec
  Release:        5%{?dist}.1

At the very left side, the most important thing is to bump "correctly",
i.e. to recognise Fedora's 0. prefix for pre-releases. Dropping
less significant portions of the release tag is something the packager
could do eventually (e.g. during an upgrade).

There's even an option for introducing and bumping at the very right side:

  $ grep Release test.spec
  Release:        6%{?dist}
  $ rpmdev-bumpspec -s try test.spec
  $ grep Release test.spec