Re: Web Assets/JavaScript guideline drafts

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 09:32:12AM -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> And some guidelines for the other various shareable bits that aren't JavaScript:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/Web_Assets

I strongly agree with Remi that in general it is better to be using a
webserver-level "Alias" (i.e. a URL -> filesystem mapping) to bring
shared "assets" within a webapp-specific URL space.  i.e. Alias
/myapp/some.js to /usr/blah/some.js

Patching webapps *right down to content level* to enforce our particular
choice of URL space sounds like a maintenance nightmare.

If we really must pollute the URL space with fixed common locations for
shared assets then we should definitely not use a generic name like
"/assets".  We should minimize interference with the URL space.
"/.assets" "/.packaged-assets" "/_packaged_assets/" or something like
that.

Regards, Joe