Re: How to deal with the porn part of a package?

[100% personal opinion here...]

Most packages in Fedora could be used to do something that someone in
any culture could find offensive.  There are sub-cultures in the USA
that consider porn offensive, yet this is where we push "freedom" the
most.  Emacs can be used to write anti-pick-a-religion propoganda.
OOcalc can be used to design terrorist bombs.  Where do we draw the
line?  Answer: we don't.  We let the users draw the line for
themselves.

IMHO, breaking out porn-specific support into separate files (as
youtube_dl does) gives users and packagers (such as Fedora) the
freedom to include or exclude these files as desired.  I do not think
that means that Fedora should exclude them just because some people
would find their use offensive.

In any culture that finds XYZ offensive, there will be members of that
culture that disagree.  We value freedom - the members of those
cultures have the freedom to use or not use those features as they see
fit.  It is not our place to make such distinctions, especially when
the choice is made for "the greater good", whether by a corporation,
government, or moral majority.

  "That way, anyone can use any of our work for their own purposes,"

Further, the bug report mentions "an enterprise class operating
system" but Fedora is definitely not targetting that role, so that
assumption is simply invalid.

  "you never have to wait long to see the latest and greatest
   software, while there are other Linux products derived from Fedora
   you can use for long-term stability."

Note: I'm not arguing against removing that functionality per se.  I
*am* arguing against the specifics of this bug and its reasons for
removal.  If it is removed, let's make sure it's removed because of
reasons that are compatible with our core values.

  "guidelines disallows something with porn"

Does this package *contain* porn?  Or is it merely a means to *access*
porn stored elsewhere?  If you're planning on removing it for the
latter, you'll have to remove all web browsers too.  And wget.  Maybe
all networking packages and multimedia viewers.  And emacs.

IMHO in the "Code Vs Content" choice, this package is code, not
content, and the restrictions for content don't apply.  If we let
someone tell us to not distribute this code because it could be used
in ways they don't like, others will try to stop us from distributing
other code that they don't want us to have.  That is clearly against
our core values.

"In some corporate cultures, use of free software is considered
 offensive.  Please remove Fedora."

Let the violent agreement and strawman-bashing begin ;)