Re: Inconsistencies in Python package naming

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:43:16 +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:

> > Trial-and-error guessing of package names isn't practical. Searching
> > manually in possibly alphabetically sorted lists of thousands of packages
> > isn't practical either.
>
> "Isn't practical" is a perfect reason to improve it with a new python
> package naming proposal.

Check out the other replies. It would be much more of a reason to be as
close as possible to upstream names, so documentation on the web would
work, too, and users would get some result without guessing package names.
Although I think running package searches is superior.

http://www.pygtk.org/

| PyGTK for Linux
|
| PyGTK is included in most Linux distributions (including Debian, Fedora,
| Ubuntu, Opensuse, Gentoo, Mandrake, Redhat, SUSE...);

Yet "yum install PyGTK" would not work. Introducing lots of prefixes or
interpreter version identifiers is unlikely to end up with a clean/clear
solution.

$ rpm -qR soundconverter|grep py
/usr/bin/python
gnome-python2-bonobo
gnome-python2-canvas
gnome-python2-gconf
gnome-python2-gnome
gnome-python2-gnomevfs
gstreamer-python
notify-python
pygtk2

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc4.git0.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.15 0.13 0.14