Re: Inconsistencies in Python package naming

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 05:47:37 -0400 (EDT), Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:

> Hi all,
> so after spending some months with Python packaging, I came to think that the naming has to be standardized better.
> Problem 1:
> The naming guidelines say, that if there is "py" or "Py" in package name, you _can_ use that name for a package, otherwise use python-{name} [1]. So if I'm trying to install "pygments", I just try "pygments", but whoops - it's named python-pygments. How could I tell?

"yum search pygments" or the equivalent in a graphical package tool.
Also "yum list py\*|grep pygments" (or grep -i …) would find it.

Trial-and-error guessing of package names isn't practical. Searching
manually in possibly alphabetically sorted lists of thousands of packages
isn't practical either.

The uppercase "Py" is a good example. In bugzilla, uppercase package names
are listed before lowercase package names. Nasty. A "yum search" and
"yum list py\*" is case-insensitive, however.

> Problem 2:
> If I install "PyYaml" (this time I was lucky and guessed correctly), then it's confusing that I have to install python3-PyYaml. Both should be prefixed "python[possibly 3]-", or none of them.

When and how to apply such prefixes has confused packagers/reviewers before:

  # yum list django\*|grep ^django|wc -l
  5
  # yum list python-django\*|grep ^python-django|wc -l
  70

Some of the django-* packages have been renamed, but this shows that guessing
prefixes wouldn't work well either.

> Problem 3:
> The table in [2] is even more confusing. If the upstream name is "pygtk", why should Fedora's package be called "pygtk2"? Where did the "2" come from?

The naming is derived from the GTK+ framework base packages: gtk+ (v1.x),
gtk2 (v2.x), gtk3 (v3.x).

?

> So my proposal would be:
> Let's make it mandatory for all the Python package names to be prefixed with python-/python3-. If the upstream name already starts with "python-", then let's use that (possibly inserting the "3").

Do you propose it just because of the package searching and installation
attempts you've described? What other benefits would there be? Currently,
all Python packages should start with "py" (or "Py"), except if it's a package
that doesn't extend Python but some program (e.g. claws-mail-plugins-python).

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc4.git0.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.02 0.03 0.11