Re: [Proposal] Packaging guidelines/spec per version

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 04:26:41PM +0100, V??t Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 13.3.2013 16:18, Toshio Kuratomi napsal(a):
> >On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 01:12:00PM +0100, V?t Ondruch wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Wouldn't it be possible to have packaging guidelines versioned by
> >>Fedora version?
> >It is and we already do.  For instance, the java guidelines which have
> >differences depending on how the tools in the relevant Fedora release are
> >implemented/available.
>
> We should be more specific about that.
>
> For example, it should be clear that if I am packaging new .macros
> file for F19, it should go into /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d without other
> conditions. Now, it is small remark squeezed into brackets, which
> will be skipped when you skim through the guidelines.
>

> >>If this would be accompanied by the rule, that .spec
> >>files can't be shared as well (using some conditions), this would
> >>allow us to have much faster evolution of our packaging. I'll give
> >>you a few examples.
> >>
> >This is a non-starter, I'm afraid.
>
> Yes, unless you provide any rationale behind your statement, it
> cannot start even discussion I am afraid.

Excellent.   /me does his share to prevent flamewars for the day.

Hint: I don't have time for this discussion for the next two weeks, (I'm at
a conference), but if you do, you can raise just this aspect on devel list
and see what happens.... warning, I expect it to quickly degenerate into a
highly unproductive shouting match.

-Toshio