Re: [Proposal] Packaging guidelines/spec per version

Dne 13.3.2013 16:35, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski napsal(a):
On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 at 16:12, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 at 13:12, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Hi,

Wouldn't it be possible to have packaging guidelines versioned by
Fedora version? If this would be accompanied by the rule, that .spec
files can't be shared as well (using some conditions), this would
allow us to have much faster evolution of our packaging. I'll give
you a few examples.
+1 on versioning guidelines per Fedora version
-1 on prohibiting spec file sharing across branches
To expand on my -1, your rationale does not explain why we should
ban people from conditionalizing certain parts of their spec files
to follow guidelines for any Fedora and EPEL version they wish
to maintain their packages for. Yes, it adds to maintenance overhead,
but the reduced overhead due to having one spec file instead of
up to 6[1] balances that. And people are free to use separate, differing
specs for each branch already.

The main reason is that we cannot get rid of legacy stuff from .spec files and start to use new features. The other reason is that it is not possible to reliably script the update process. For example, if you have rubygem and you build it for EPEL and Fedora, you had something like:

%if 0%{fedora} > 0
%global rubyabi 1.9.1
%else
%global rubyabi 1.8
%endif

Now we move from %{rubyabi} to ruby(release) and you cannot certainly know that there was such conditionalized definition. So you have to check the .spec manually. You even don't know if that conditions still make sense, if they are in use. They could be even named differently.

That speaks all against sharing.

Vít