Re: Rules for obsoleting or conflicting packages

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:18:02 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:37:23PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Given the speed at which this package changes, we're not talking about
> > weeks or months, but possibly just days that there would be a conflict
> > due to a rushed out python-datanommer-models package. Why can't the new
> > python-datanommer-models not be released _together_ with a corresponding
> > datanommer package?
> >
> I think that we're anticipating that the packager is going to do different
> things.  When I read the quote, I'm imagining that he is going to be
> releasing the new datanommer package together with the new
> python-datanommer-models package.  Which would mean the packagest available
> in the yum updates repository shouldn't have any conflicts between the two
> packages (because the Conflicts is versioned).

Well, it would be _so_ easy to not release the datanommer package until
the needed python-datanommer-models package will be available:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/datanommer

Introducing a confusing Conflicts tag (even a versioned one) can be
avoided in this case, too. It would be weird to push datanommer to stable,
if things will move/change/be replaced afterwards anyway.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.40 0.25 0.23