Re: Multiple file ownership allowed nowadays?

On 01/30/2012 02:31 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 29.01.2012, 23:38 -0500 schrieb Jon Stanley:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I wonder if this rule is still needed. I know I'd loose backward
compatibility with older rpm versions, but I don't want make a

I agree that a -common subpackage is silly for this, but are any of
the RPM versions that this *wouldn't* work with still in supported
releases?

Not in Fedora.

The only one I'd be concerned with is RHEL5, but I think even that
works right, no?

I haven't tested it, but based on my experience with multi-arch file
conflicts I *guess* it will not work on RHEL 5.

Sharing identical files between packages has always been allowed in rpm, that's not an issue.

The bugs in RHEL 5 (and older) have to do with conflicts NOT getting reported in some situations, notably on multilib systems when packages with conflicting files get installed in a single transaction the conflicts go ignored, but when installed in separate transactions conflicts are raised on the same files.

	- Panu -