Sponsorship model

Hi all,
     I see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#Sponsorship_model
says that

" The best ways for you to illustrate your understanding of the
packaging guidelines
are to submit quality packages and to assist with package reviews."

My question is that is it really mandatory for new contributors to
assist with pre-reviews of packages in NEW queue? Can we sponsor new
contributor based on his package submissions only( say he submitted 3
to 5 packages)?

Regards,
Parag.