Re: Sponsorship model

On 06/03/2010 02:44 PM, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> Hi all,
>       I see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#Sponsorship_model
> says that
>
> " The best ways for you to illustrate your understanding of the
> packaging guidelines
> are to submit quality packages and to assist with package reviews."
>
> My question is that is it really mandatory for new contributors to
> assist with pre-reviews of packages in NEW queue?

IMO, yes.

> Can we sponsor new
> contributor based on his package submissions only( say he submitted 3
> to 5 packages)?

IMO, no. The point behind all this is the candidate to demonstrate his
"understanding". As I see it, "number of packages" isn't actually
related to this kind of "understanding".

"3 to 5 packages" can mean a packager blindly and mechanically copying
other people's works without him actually having understood what he is
doing.

On the other hand, there are candidate packagers with a long history in
packaging and deep understanding which simply are "new to Fedora" and
are unfamiliar to the "Fedora packaging" process.
In these cases, "3 to 5" packages may easily be a too high measure.

Ralf