Re: I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

steve wrote:
Hi Lyos,

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

Question... where would such content be installed?
In the users ~/music , ~/video, etc? or a system-wide location?
I was thinking of doing it in a system-wide location (same as the documentation content, ie: /usr/share/{music,video,books,doc}/) ...but that's just me. Maybe if there is real interest in doing this, we could come up with a content packaging guideline of some sort.

I don't know about your system... but my system already has 349 folders in /usr/share ... which would likely be overwhelming to John Q Public. I'd suggest a different, perhaps dedicated, location if it is to be system-wide.

Seem, to me, like such content should be installed as a user, not root
(ie., seemingly impossible with yum), because not every user on a
given system will want said content.

Same holds true for a lot of already packaged content (fonts, images, docs ...etc).

The difference, I suspect, is context. Fonts are meant to be used by many different programs.
Images could be background, icons, startup, etc.

CC content could be more accurately likened to that of a bookshelf (in the case of ebooks), or a library, of sorts.

Both are technically *content*... but the CC content you mention has a *vastly* different *context* from that of
fonts, images or docs.

Yes ! I do think, having a separate repo would be a good thing. Having it Fedora endorsed, might need consideration and a nod by the FESCo, though I think I'll start working on creating a yum repo and some packages with the cc content I have.

regards,
- steve
In this case, I happen to agree, though I question the use of yum to provide such content (see above).
I think yum would be good, because it already provides a the capabilities to track (cc content could be upgraded too -- for example, the lld editions), search (...the rpm headers), arrange in groups (for example all works by certain artist) and manage (if you are like me, you can pretty soon lose track of where you downloaded stuff, not so with files that a package provide) your collections.

The other advantage of course is having a repo would imply the ability to browse through the content. I am thinking we can do for content what rpm did for software.

True enough... though i still think it should be user controlled rather than root-controlled. Perhaps a version of yum could be modified to allow users to install such content without elevated privileges (provided, of course, that it only affects that one user)?

Lyos Gemini Norezel
begin:vcard
fn:Lyos Norezel
n:Norezel;Lyos
org:GBES, LLC
adr:;;;;Ohio;;United States
email;internet:Lyos.GeminiNorezel@xxxxxxxxx
title:Computer Repair Technician
note;quoted-printable:"Those who hunt monsters beware, lest they become monsters themselves.Ify=
	ou stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you." --Nietzsch=
	e=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Mundus Vult Decipi et Decipiatur -- Latin Proverb
version:2.1
end:vcard