Re: I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
On 2009-02-17 at 20:08:35 -0500, steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Most of my reading these days is done on my laptop[1]. This includes
both tech (docs and tutorial types) as well as non-tech books.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 'diveintopython' listed in my
yum search listings (I was searching for comic book readers).

I like the idea of being able to 'yum install' or 'yum search', or even
'yum groupinsatall' books (or any CC content for that matter, eg: music,
video ..etc). If packaging such content is encouraged, I'd gladly
package most of the CC content I've accumulated.

Does Fedora has a policy or guideline about these things ?

We do:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Code_Vs_Content

The rule of thumb is that it must enhance the Fedora user experience.

Sorry, I missed that. Yes, that makes sense. The Fedora package collection as it stands right now may not be the best place for something like this.

With that said, if there is interest in doing this on a large scale, it
might be worth considering making a separate Fedora CC Content
Repository. I'll defer that decision to FESCo.

Yes ! I do think, having a separate repo would be a good thing. Having it Fedora endorsed, might need consideration and a nod by the FESCo, though I think I'll start working on creating a yum repo and some packages with the cc content I have.

regards,
- steve

--
Linux Centric Marketplace: http://www.tuxcompatible.com